Residents of Nabutiti village, Kasangazi zone, Makindye division yesterday morning woke up grief after four family members perished in an inferno.
The deceased were identified as Tukwasibwe Annet 35 the mother to the deceased, Akankwasa Elijah 9, Kyakuwa Musa 5 and one Rebecca six months.
Luke Owoyesigire the police spokesperson for Kampala Metropolitan told Spy reports that the shocking incident occurred at around 1:00am when most of the residents were in deep sleep.
“We received a phone call from neighbors after seeing the house burning and our fire brigade team rushed but could not save life of the deceased because where the house was not accessed easily,” he said adding that police saved some properties and the neighborhood.
Owoyesigire further said that all the bodies were taken to Mulago hospital for postmortem as investigations continue.
He added that the preliminary reports show that the cause of fire originated from a candle which was left burning in one of the rooms as children went to sleep.
However when we talked to some neighbors, they revealed to us that the wife told her children to leave the candle lighting as they waited for their farther who had gone to watch champions league game between PSG and Napoli.
“Our dad told us that he had gone to watch night football and would be back soon .Our mother then told us to leave the candle lighting such that when he comes he finds light,” revealed the elder brother who had just completed p.7 exams.
He added that the young brothers left the candle burning as they fell asleep. The candle fell down and burnt mattress and others clothes before it spread to other rooms.
There were some wooden materials which were kept in the house and they increased the speed of the fire,” said one of the residents.